When pipes burst it is usually at the most inconvenient time possible: moments before a dinner party, when you are putting the kids to sleep or when you are about to leave the house to attend an important meeting. There is never a good time for a plumbing emergency. However, before the water begins to pool everywhere, know what to do in case of a plumbing emergency by following these steps to get the situation under control.
What to Do in Case of a Plumbing Emergency at Home
There are several different types of plumbing emergencies that residents may run up against. Some of these emergencies may include:
• Backed up and overflowing toilet
• Sewer line damage due to tree roots
• Stopped up sink
• Burst pipe in the kitchen
• Burst pipe in the basement
• Overflowing washer
• Overflowing dishwasher
These types of emergencies can cause damage to your home and the entire plumbing system on your property. A little leak here and there could snowball into a big issue at exactly the wrong moment. While the big issues will require a professional, there are several things which you can do to curtail the damage while help is on the way.
What to Do in Case of a Plumbing Emergency While Waiting for the Professionals
When the water is rushing out from under the sink or pooling in the basement beneath the washer there are steps which you can take. Being prepared will help you keep calm during a stressful situation. To prepare for plumbing emergencies:
• Know where the water shut off valve is for the individual appliances and for the whole house
• Remember to open or close a valve; the old adage is “righty tighty, lefty loosey”
• Have a bucket and mop on hand to clean up any water
• Have sanitizing solution in the bathroom in case of any toilet issues
• Know the number of a professional near you
When the water does cause an issue follow these steps:
1. Locate the source of the issue: is it a sink issue or a larger burst pipe in the garage?
2. Turn off the water from the water valve
3. Keep kids and pets away from the water issue as not to create a soppy mess
4. Call a professional
5. Note what time the incident occurred and the amount of errant water you have seen
6. Clean any water you can from the area and sanitize if need be
7. If there is a large issue, take pictures to show the insurance company
When you know what to do in case of plumbing emergencies you will be able to contain the issue and get help right away. The more prepared you are, the easier the situation will be to rectify. Remember, there is no use crying over spilled milk and there is no use crying over spilled water. With the right preparation, water emergencies will not soak your day.