When selling your home, there are many things to do in order to sell it right. There is the financial aspect to selling a home and then there are the aesthetics of selling a home. When you have a checklist of things you need to do before you sell your home, you will be more prepared to make this a smooth process.
Selling Your Home: Preparing Your Finances
Selling your home is a big undertaking. Pricing the home will help it move on the market. You should have an appraisal performed to see how much the home is worth and how it compares to the rest of the neighborhood.
If you want to get more from your home than what the initial appraisal is, consider making some upgrades. Making changes to the kitchen or the bathroom could net you big returns. If you have some cash which has been stashed away now may be the time to put it to good use.
Another thing to consider when making a checklist of things you need to do before you sell your home, as far as finances are concerned, is how much money you will have to negotiate. Can you cover closing costs? This may be the thing which makes more buyers excited about your property than the one down the street.
When you are factoring finances into the mix here is your checklist:
• Go for the price you want to get for the home.
• Invest any money you can in upgrades to raise the value of the home.
• Consider covering closing costs.
• Be sure to save enough so that when you buy your new home, you will be in good shape financially.
Selling Your Home: Preparing the House
The other side of selling a home is the way that each room is staged. Many buyers want something which they can move right into. Even your choice of paint or art on the walls may stand in the way of a potential buyer seeing the potential in your property.
When staging the home consider making these changes:
• Make sure all the closets are clean and organized to maximize the look of storage.
• Maximize lighting by removing heavy curtains, cleaning the windows, adding more lamps and changing any burnt out bulbs.
• Hide it if you have pets. Some people do not like pets, so remove any dog bowls or chew toys before you show the house.
• Take down family photos and personal knick-knacks. People want to imagine themselves in the home; they do not want to see all your family photos.
• Have the house professionally cleaned so that even the tops of the cabinets in the kitchen are ready for a new owner.
• Stage a room like it was in a magazine. You are not just selling your home’ you are selling the idea of living in your home.
This checklist of things you need to do before you sell your home will help to make the process easier.