The start of winter is approaching and it is now time to get your home ready for the frigid temperatures. There is no need to panic if you haven’t started winterizing your home! Our team put together a list of 6 ways to prepare your home for the winter. Check out our list below:
- Drain Your Sprinkler System – Before temperatures start to drop, it’s necessary to drain your sprinkler system to prevent your pipes from bursting because of lingering frozen water. Draining your sprinkler system can prevent you from paying for costly repairs.
- Clean Your Gutters – Cleaning your gutters is must! If your gutters are clogged, water is more likely to freeze, which can cause roof and foundation problems to your home.
- Trim Back Trees and Bushes – If you have tree branches that are close to your home, cut them back. Branches that break due to snow and ice can cause major damage to your home.
- Check Furnace and Replace Filters – It’s important to get your furnace checked by a professional and get filters replaced before icy winter weather comes. You do not want to take the risk of having heating issues when frigid temperatures occur!
- Prevent Frozen Pipes – A great way to prevent frozen pipes is to use insulation around your pipes. Homeowners should also look for any air leaks around pipes and insulation that would bring any cold air.
- Check Your Emergency Supply Kit –It’s a good idea to get your emergency supply kit checked for appropriate clothing, expired food, valid medications and enough water. Winter storms can cause emergency situations and doing this can keep your family safe.
By doing these precautionary steps, you can feel more prepared heading into winter this year. These small steps can save you a ton of money on costly repairs and high utility bills. A few hours of doing these pre-winter maintenance tips, can keep your family safe and warm this winter season.